Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Getting Perspective

"Write what you know."

We hear that all the time. But sometimes, we're so close to what we know that we can't write it. We're too close to get the necessary perspective to tell the best story we can tell. How do we step back?

Lately, I've been doing a lot of journaling. I write and write and write, then I go back and try to think about it from another viewpoint, or to see it from another angle. Then I write some more from that angle. Sometimes it works, but sometimes I find myself slipping back into "me" again after a while. But it's one technique I can use.

How about you guys? How do you get perspective on an issue that is close to you?

4 comments:

  1. That's a good idea on how to do it. I don't guess I have ever thought about it. Huh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atually, I find it really quite hard! That's why I gave up writing my memoir ... :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. My MC's are not like me and the opposing characters provide different perspectives through tension. I've come to grips with writing what I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colene, maybe you can file it to use later. Let me know if it works for you!

    Jessica, sorry to hear about your memoir! Have you thought about having someone else to work on it with you, or read it for you as you write it, to help you see when you need to take a step back and approach it differently? I hope you can find a way to work through it.

    Medeia, good for you. Writing from the perspective of someone very different from you is a great way to gain perspective. I'll remember that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete