Monday, February 20, 2012

Monday Musings on Focus

So, I've had this weird feeling that the Universe has been trying to speak to me lately.

First, there was the weekend where even though I thought I was going to be talking about book projects, I ended up talking to people about their previous film projects.

Then there was the plane ride home where I happened to meet a talent agent - we had a great conversation, about books and movies and how much we hate reality TV (sorry, reality TV-lovers; it's not my bag) and pets, and that ended with him asking how we could keep in touch.

Then there's the fact that I have more ideas for books and scripts than I know what to do with, and I saw Hugo and it reminded me why I wanted to be an actor in the first place.

And basically, if I'm honest, the publishing industry is so wonky right now with e-this and print-that and Amazon becoming a publisher and Apple launching self-publishing apps (iAuthor? Really? REALLY? I want an annulment, Apple. You've been messing around behind my back, and I won't stand for it.) and all the people who work for publishing houses getting nervous that it makes the performing arts look like a stable career choice, and that's really saying something.

And then today, as I looked at my ever-growing To-Do list and wondered if it was too late to use stem cells to generate a few extra arms, I had a moment of clarity.

You can do everything - just not all at once. And it doesn't matter which one you choose to do first. You just have to choose something.


Choose something. One manuscript. One idea. And see it through to the end. Finish it. Stay focused, and don't get distracted. Keep your eye on the ball.

Then when that one thing is done, you can choose again.

My one thing is a chapter book that I've had on hold while I worked on and submitted picture books. What is your one thing for today?


And remember to come back on WEDNESDAY for a query critiquing extravaganza, and a VERY SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!

12 comments:

  1. So awesome how you met an agent and he wants to stay in touch. Yes, staying in focus is really important. I'm trying to focus on my new project until I get my beta reads back of my MG project and then I'll revise that and start querying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I firmly believe that keeping in touch with people you connect with is really important, so that was a nice thing.

      Good luck with your new project! You can do it, you can do it, you can do it...

      Delete
  2. You're doing so many things the right way. I can't wait to hear what your announcement is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Well, you'll just have to wait and see. But it's not THAT.
      ;-)

      Delete
  3. This really resonated with me. I've been scattered in too many directions due to various interests and the need to feel productive/successful. My focus for the rest of the month is to finish revising my YA novel. Now, back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! There's so much happening in e-stuff and print stuff and publishers that it all makes me a little bonkers. But, I keep going with my MG novel. I have other projects in my head, but this one is close to querying--no matter the uncertainty of the industry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - even with the industry craziness, storytelling is still important. Writing books is still important.

      Delete
  5. What a great post. For a minute there I thought you were going to run off with the circus! Such a good plan to work on one at a time. I'm working on just my MG right now, but I'll have to do March's pb soon. Hopefully I'll just get my editing done in time. Bonkers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't QUITE run off with the circus, but you never know... ;-)

      Good luck with your editing. You can do it!

      Delete
  6. I work on the MG a week and then a picture book for a week. And so on and so on. Bonkers! Daffy! Cuckoo! They all apply to me. But I'm moving along in my own space and time. *wink* Loved the post. I cannot wait to read the announcement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, good for you for being so disciplined about keeping a regular schedule like that. Keep on keepin' on. :-)

      Delete